Mr. Ávila provides advice to individuals and entities in general corporate and transactional matters on a national and global basis, and regularly represents companies in a broad range of industries in startups, mergers and acquisitions. He also has experience with venture capital and private equity transactions, joint ventures and strategic alliances and antitrust related matters. His business practice also emphasizes in financings, loans and project financings and creation of security interests.
Representative Legal Matters
• Represented Citibank and Barclays Capital in creating security interests over Mexico based assets as a result of the granting of a revolving credit facility and a high-yield bond issuance by a joint venture of INEOS and BASF.
• Represented Questor Partners Funds in their acquisition of the aluminum business in Mexico of Teksid, S.p.A., and in the sale of said business aluminum business to Tenedora Nemak, S.A. de C.V., a wholly owned subsidiary of Grupo Alfa.
• Assisted Operadora Cinepolis, S.A. de C.V., in an exhaustive due diligence to Grupo Cinemex, S.A. de C.V., for its participation in a private offer of cinema and movie theaters.
• Represented Teksid Aluminum-Luxembourg S. à r. l., S.C.A., in the issuance of €240,000,000 Senior Notes, and the granting of a €171,100,000 senior secured loan.
• Assisted Grupo Fertinal, S.A. de C.V., in obtaining clearance from the Mexican antitrust authorities to reacquire a property in an industrial facility located at Lázaro Cárdenas, Michoacán.
• Represented Paul Capital Partners in their investment in Latin Idea Mexico Opportunities Fund I, L.P., and the creation of a security interest over certain shares issued by Metro Net, S.A.P.I. de C.V.
• Represented Macquarie Capital in its business startup in Mexico.
• Assisted Votorantim Metais in an exhaustive due diligence to Corporación Aceros DM, S.A. de C.V., for its participation in a private offer of a major steel industrial plant in Mexico.
• Represented GICSA in a US$1.2 billion financing provided by General Electric Real Estate Mexico.
• Assisted Weatherford International in obtaining clearance from the Mexican antitrust authorities to purchase from Meyer & Associates, Inc., shares representing the corporate capital of drilling services companies.
• Represented Grupo Inar, S.A. de C.V., a real estate and hotel developer, in its corporate restructuring and joint venture with Bloch Management Corporation and Centurian Hotel LLC.
• Represented Crescent Advisors in their granting of a loan to, and the creation of security interests by, Veaje, S.A. de C.V., a mining Mexican company.
• Represented Aozora Bank, Ltd., Bayerische Hypo- und Vereinsbank AG, GE Commercial Lending Japan Inc., JPMorgan Securities Japan Co., Ltd., Lehman Brothers Japan Inc., Shinsei Bank, Limited and The Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation Limited, Tokyo Branch, Citibank Japan Ltd. and other financing entities in connection with the granting of syndicated loans to IEIL Japan Co, Ltd., in the amount of US$341,219,290, and the creation of security interests for the benefit of said financial entities by the Mexican subsidiaries of IEIL Japan Co, Ltd.
• Assisted Iridium Satellite LLC in its joint venture with Spacenet Comunicaciones de México, S.A. de C.V., and their obtaining of a public telecommunication network and satellite landing rights license.
• Represented Pacific Tomato Growers in its joint ventures with Mexican tomato producers.
Education and Experience
Mr. Ávila obtained his J.D. degree from the Universidad Anáhuac in 1997. He was an associate at Jones Day (formerly, De Ovando y Martínez del Campo, S.C.) from 1994 to 1999, and also holds a postgraduate title from the Universidad Iberoamericana.