José Ignacio Rivero Andere has over 15 years of experience providing legal and business advice to clients in banking and finance, capital markets, corporate law, mergers and acquisitions, real estate, and private equity.
He actively represents individuals and companies from a wide range of sectors, in multimillion domestic and cross border transactions, and serves in the board of directors of several companies.
José Ignacio Rivero has been recognized by international renowned publications such as Chambers and Partners (Global and Latin America Guide), Legal 500 and IFLR 1000, respectively.
Representative Legal Matters
• Counsel to IFM, an Australian global funds manager, in its US$1 billion tender offer for 42% of the public shares of OHL Mexico, one of the most relevant transport infrastructure operators within the metropolitan area of Mexico City.
• Counsel to Nokia and Huawei, in the structuring of a US$1,800 billion financing to Altan Redes, the multinational consortium in charge of the design, construction, operation and maintenance of the largest telecommunications project in the history of México “Red Compartida”.
• Counsel to KIO, one of the largest Mexican IT Service providers in: (i) its US$400 million acquisition of RedIT, a Mexican telecommunications concessionaire and one of the main competitors of KIO in the IT sector, and (ii) its related debut US$500 million 144A/REG-S offering.
• Counsel to Metalsa, one of the leading suppliers of structural components for the automotive light vehicle and commercial vehicle markets in North America and Brazil, in its debut US$300 million 144A/REG-S offering.
• Counsel to Cinco M Dos, one of the most relevant advertisement companies in México, in the acquisition of Grupo Expansión, the second largest editor of printed and digital media in Mexico, from Southern Cross Group, a main private equity firm in the US and Latin America.
• Counsel to the shareholders of Resuelve tu Deuda, a Mexican financial restructuring and credit repair business, in the acquisition of a 55% stake thereof by Crédito Real, one of the leading financial non-bank companies in Mexico.
• Counsel to the shareholders of Crédito Maestro, one of the largest companies in the growing payroll deduction financing industry in Mexico, in the acquisition by Crédito Real of a significant minority position in Crédito Maestro.
• Counsel to the shareholders of SoloAutos, a Mexican corporation in the automotive classifieds business, in the acquisition of a 65% stake thereof by CarSales, one of the largest players worldwide in the automotive classifieds business.
• Counsel to WSP – Parsons Brinckerhoff, a multinational public engineering and design company, as buyer, in the acquisition of 100% of the capital stock of Diseño Integral y Tecnología Aplicada, a Mexican engineering and design company.
• Counsel to Foster Wheeler, one of the largest global engineering, construction company and power equipment suppliers in the oil and gas industry, in the acquisition of Northam Engineering, a leader in the engineering oil and gas services in México.
• Counsel to Grupo Mexico´s Infrastructure Division, in (i) a US$127 million financing funded by INBURSA, for the acquisition of the Friede & Goldman Super M2 drilling rig “Zacatecas”, constructed by Maritime Industrial Services Co. Ltd, and leased by Pemex Exploración y Producción, and (ii) a US$140 million refinancing funded by INBURSA, for the acquisition of the drilling rig type Hull 106 “Chihuahua”, leased by Pemex Exploración y Producción.
• Counsel to Nissan Renault Finance Mexico in the registration and maintenance of a US$1 billion bond issuance program in the Mexican Stock Exchange, as well as with its registration as an ongoing issuer and the registration and structuring of all the offerings under the program.
Education and Experience
• International Associate for the firm Proskauer Rose LLP in New York
• Master of Laws degree (LLM) from the School of Law of Northwestern University, 2008
• Certificate in business administration from Kellogg School of Management of Northwestern University, 2008
• JD degree from the Escuela Libre de Derecho, 2005
• International Bar Association (IBA)
• National Association of Corporate Counsels (ANADE)
• Mexico Chapter for the International Comparative Legal Guide to: Lending & Secured Finance 2017 and 2016, published by ICLG
• Article “Creating Collateral in Mexico”, published by Financier Worldwide Magazine, May 2016
• Publication “The ownership of voting rights in the case of a pledge over stock of corporations” (La titularidad del derecho de voto en el caso de prenda sobre acciones de sociedades anónimas) Authors: José Ignacio Rivero Andere and Luis Manuel Cardenas Ibarra, Temas de Derecho V, published by the Escuela Libre de Derecho, Mexico, 2012.
• JD Degree Thesis, “Legal Considerations on Stocks as Securities” (Consideraciones jurídicas sobre la acción como título valor), Escuela Libre de Derecho, Mexico, 2005