Enrique Gonzalez Calvillo, Founding Partner,Gonzalez Calvillo, S.C.
Cross-border transactional lawyer with emphasis in energy, power generation, M&A´s, joint ventures and international commercial arbitration.
• Representation of Nacional Financiera, Bancomext and Banobras, Mexico's National Development Banks, in the US$800 million project finance granted to Altán Redes for the Red Compartida telecoms project
• Counsel in the acquisition of Royal Bank of Scotland (Mexico) and its transformation into Investabank, acting on behalf of a group of Mexican and Foreign investors, leading to the creation of Investa Bank, a bank in Mexico, representing the parties before the regulators including the Comisión Nacional Bancaria y de Valores and the Banco de México
• Represented Banco Bradesco of Brazil in the acquisition of IBI Mexico from Cofra, as part of Bradesco’s US$900 million acquisition of IBI’s operations in Brazil and Mexico
• Acted as arbitrator in the Grupo Modelo, S.A. de C.V. (Mexico) vs Anheuser-Busch (U.S.), case concerning issues deriving the merger by the latter and Ambev (Belgium).
• Represented Credito Maestro in the acquisition by Credito Real, of a US$200 million credit portfolio
• Advised Alstom Mexicana in a US$1.7 billion project to build, with ICA and Carso Infraestructura y Construccion, Line 12 (Tlahuac-Mixcoac) of the Mexico City subway system, tendered by the Mexico City Government
• Advised McDonald’s Corporation on the sale of its operations in Latin America to a group of investors, thereafter doing business as Arcos Dorados and the granting of a Master Franchise for the region, the implementation of trusts for the transfer of ownership, guaranty and administration of the acquired equity
• Representation of Petroleos Mexicanos in the implementation of over US$4 billion in public offering in the form of certificados bursátiles in the Bolsa Mexicana de Valores (the Mexican Stock Exchange)
• Represented Bay, Ltd. and Inelectra (Venezuela) in their joint venture, Bay-Inelectra, in a public bidding process conducted by Petroleos Mexicanos for the development and construction of US$150 million off-shore housing facility in the Gulf of Mexico for PEMEX
• Represented Corporacion Mexicana de Inversiones de Capital, Mexico’s government bank backed private equity “Fund of Funds”, in more than US$350 million of investments in different private equity funds in Mexico and Latin America
• Represented Chrysler Mexico in the implementation of a US$250 million program of certificados bursatiles (notes) for their public offering in the Mexican Stock Exchange
• Acted as Counsel to Corporación Interamericana de Entretenimiento, S.A. and CIE Brasil, S.A. in the consolidation of its entertainment business in South America through a joint venture with Gavea Investimentos and other investors.
• Acted as counsel for Alstom Power Centrals and Alstom Power Mexico in an arbitration procedure before the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC) relating to the construction of a coke-fired electric power plant in Tamuin, Mexico
• Acted as arbitrator in the San Luis Rassini, S.A. de C.V. (México) vs Brembo, S.p.A. (Italy) and Brembo North America, Inc. in an ICDR case involving a series of issues deriving their joint venture in Mexico
• Acted as counsel to Bay-Inelectra in different arbitration procedures with PEMEX, in connection with pending indemnifications arising from public construction agreements
• Acted as arbitrator in the Grupo Empresarial Seser, S.A. and Grant Products Mexico, S.A. vs. Spectrum Trim, LLC and Premier Trim, LLC ICDR case concerning issues in their joint venture in Mexico
Law Degree, Universidad Iberoamericana, Ciudad de Mexico
Masters Degree, Comparative Law, The University of Texas at Austin, USA
Professional Associations and Memberships
• Instituto Mexicano de la Mediacion, A.C. – Founding President
• Alternate Representative for Mexico in the Commercial Dispute Consulting Committee created under the North America Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA)
• Consejo Empresarial Mexicano de Comercio Exterior, Inversion y Tecnologia, A.C. – President of the Mexico-Brazil Bilateral Committee
• Camara Nacional de Comercio de la Ciudad de Mexico, A.C. – Member of the Mediation and Arbitration Commission
Colaboration and Publications
He has been Vice President of the United States–Mexico Chamber of Commerce (Southwest Chapter), Special Representative of the International Franchise Association (Washington, D.C.) and Vice President of the Subcommittee for Foreign Investment and Transfer of Technology of the American Bar Association, Mexico Committee
Professor at the Masters Programme in Commercial Law at the Universidad Panamericana; of the Corporate Law Masters at the Mexican Bar Association and of Postgraduate Studies in Commercial Law at the Escuela Libre de Derecho in Mexico City. Co-author of the Global Arbitration Review, published by Law Business Research, Ltd. (London), Mexico Chapter, for the 2004-2007 editions
Enrique Gonzalez Calvillo earned the X Premio Gov. Franco Montoro, awarded by the Brazil-Mexico Chamber of Commerce and Industry (Camara Brasil Mexico de Industria e Comercio) in Sao Paulo for his contribution to the growth of bi-lateral trade and investment relationships between Brazil and Mexico