Jaime Cortes Alvarez is a member of Gonzalez Calvillo´s Corporate Finance Practice Group. Mr. Cortes Alvarez has broad experience in securities transactions, structured finance, mergers and acquisitions, private equity and general corporate and commercial matters. Mr. Cortes Alvarez has participated in complex cross-border and international transactions over the past fifteen years. He is secretary of the Board of Directors of a number of public and private companies.
Mr. Cortes Alvarez has been selected counsel in numerous domestic and international offerings of equity and debt securities. He has also been involved in the securitization of a variety of financial assets. Mr. Cortes Alvarez has advised buyers, sellers, agents, and private equity investors in mergers and acquisitions of public and private companies, and joint ventures.
Representative Legal Matters
• Represented Urbi Desarrollos Urbanos in its US$240 million global initial public offering, and US$280 million follow-on stock offering. In addition, advised Urbi in its two international offerings of Senior Guaranteed Notes for US$150 million and US$300 million; and the establishment of a US$300 million revolving program of domestic debt securities, and the various issuances under such program.
• Represented Petroleos Mexicanos (PEMEX) in the renewal of its US$14 billion domestic debt securities program and the takedowns under such program.
• Advised Grupo Profuturo in the establishment and renewal of its US$250 million domestic debt securities program, and the issuances under such program.
• Represented Grupo Velas Hotels & Resorts and Geronimo Capital Markets Ltd in the establishment of its euro commercial paper and medium term note programs, and the issuances under the program.
• Represented Nexxus Capital Funds in its private equity investments in Desarrolladora Homex, Industrias Innopack, Aerobal, Ybarra, Crédito Real and Laboratorios Oriard.
• Advised Hoteles City Express in a US$30 million loan facility granted by HSBC.
• Advised Urbi Desarrollos Urbanos in its strategic alliance with Prudential Real Estate Investors (PREI) to co-invest US$1 billion for development of housing projects.
• Acted as counsel for Desarrolladora Homex in its US$190 million acquisition of Casas Beta.
• Advised the syndicate of banks, led by BBVA Bancomer, in the US$345 million credit facility granted to Volkswagen Financial Services, and the restructuring thereof.
• Acted as external counsel to BBVA Bancomer, as underwriter of the US$100 million equity offering of Grupo Aeroportuario del Sureste (ASUR).
Education and Experience
Mr. Cortés Alvarez obtained his law degree from Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico (UNAM) in 1995, and holds a Master of Laws degree from Columbia Law School. He was co-founder of the firm Cortes y Nuñez Sarrapy, which merged with Gonzalez Calvillo in July 2011. Previously he was an associate of Mijares, Angoitia, Cortes y Fuentes (1996-2003), and a foreign associate of Davis Polk & Wardwell and Brown & Wood in New York City (1998-1999)
Professional Associations and Memberships
• Barra Mexicana Colegio de Abogados – Member
• Instituto Mexicano de la Mediacion – Member.