Leopoldo Burguete-Stanek is the partner at González Calvillo in charge of the firm’s Environmental and Natural Resources Practice Group. With over 25 years of experience in the field, Mr. Burguete has acquired expertise in all aspects of environmental and natural resource law with particular strengths in regulatory, due diligence and project development while advising clients in sophisticated cross-border transactions. He has been consistently ranked as a foremost practitioner in his fields of practice by recognized international publications such as Chambers & Partners, Who’s Who and Latin Lawyer.
Mr. Burguete-Stanek is able to advise and guide his clients through many aspects of cross-border transactions and project planning, including the management of social facets affecting a project, through the implementation of international standards for project finance..
Representative Legal Matters
· Represented InterGen in the development of a utility scale gas fired thermoelectric plant.
· Advised the largest Mexican textile company in the development and implementation of an environmental compliance schedule.
· Acted as external counsel to Mexichem, defining the terms to enter into a JV with PEMEX to expand fluor productive chains.
· Counsel to Mitsubishi Corporation in public tender processes for the development of infrastructure projects in the energy sector.
Universidad La Salle, Mexico (1983).
Education and Experience
Mr. Burguete-Stanek is a member of the eighth cohort of the Leadership for Environment and Sustainable Development Program (LEAD) of the Rockefeller Foundation. He holds a Masters in Comparative Law as a visiting scholar at the University of Illinois (1985) and a Masters in International Law from Southern Methodist University (1986). Mr. Burguete-Stanek has also obtained several postgraduate diplomas in economic, corporate and environmental law from such academic institutions as Universidad Panamericana, Instituto Tecnológico Autonomo de México, among others.
Professional Associations and Memberships
· Barra Mexicana Colegio de Abogados
· Asociación Nacional de Abogados de Empresa
· US-Mexico Bar Association
· American Bar Association
· International Bar Association—SEERIL Regional representative for Middle America