Luis F. Ortiz is Of Counsel at González Calvillo, S.C and has over 15 years of experience in compliance, anti-corruption, anti-money laundering and tax related matters.
Likewise, he has specialized in administrative compliance and procedures (public bidding, recourses, constitutional proceedings & administrative litigation), investigations and public procurement.
His practice is focused on advising international and Mexican companies in anti-corruption, anti-money laundering, tax, ethics & integrity compliance; operational risks deriving from FCPA, auditing and training, FCPA internal investigations, whistleblowing management and policies; white-collar crime prevention, federal litigation and consulting for full compliance with the regulation thereof, as well as training and the design and implementation of preventive controls (i.e., policy making).
Mr. Ortiz has a solid tax and administrative litigation background in the private sector against tax and AML authorities, which enables him to provide comprehensive advice on his practice areas with a risk-prevention approach.
Moreover, he has experience in leading investigations and conducting anti-corruption and AML assessments in Mexico, Central and South America on bribery, extortion and anti-money laundering; specializing in advising US and European subsidiaries doing business in Latin America.
His legal practice has been recognized by international legal publication, such as Chambers and Partners and the Latin American Corporate Counsel Association in the Compliance field.
• Assisted European and US companies in the creation of FCPA oriented compliance areas & internal investigations units in full compliance with books and record keeping provisions while doing business in Mexico.
• Provided pre and post-acquisition anti-corruption and AML due diligence for multinationals in Mexico and contract drafting for FCPA-compliance clauses, their right to audit, KYC procedures, PEPS and third parties FCPA compliance and policies on background checks.
• Representation of US-Mexican clients in Federal litigation matters against the Financial Intelligence Unit and Federal Tax authorities regarding white collar allegations and related criminal compliance work.
• Constitutional Proceedings before Federal Courts on tax, AML matters and tax assessments as well as representing clients on alternative tax dispute resolution procedures and Tax Payer’s Rights Law (Ley Federal de los Derechos del Contribuyente).
• Implementation of new compliance standards such as those provided by the General Law of Administrative Responsibilities (Ley General de Responsabilidades Administrativas), ISO 37001 and Anti-money Laundering standards based on the Mexican Anticorruption System.
• Provided trainings and investigations throughout Mexico, Panama and Colombia for US corporations on bribery and Anti-money Laundering & Tax Compliance issues.
• Advised & Trained the Government of Equatorial Guinea in Africa through the Groupe Dʼaction Contre le Blanchiment dʼargent en Afrique Centrale in the implementation of its own Financial Intelligence Unit against money laundering.
• Advise to the United Nations Office in Mexico and the Ministry of Public Administration on integrity issues for small and medium businesses.
• Representation of Mexico before the Organization of American States (OAS) on anticorruption matters affecting the civil organizations in Cali, Colombia.
• Review and tropicalization of Compliance Programs of US and European subsidiaries of Mexican companies, to ensure that such promote effective prevention, detection, and resolution of improper conduct, to comply with requirements, and the standards of conduct of international and local regulation.
• Participation in OECD in situ visits in the country, as representative of the civil organizations with the Mexican Government.
• Acted as member of the working group along with the Barreau du Quebec, Canadian Ministry of Justice and Mexican Ministry of Government on building an Ethics Code for Lawyers and a Sanctioning System thereof.
• Master of Laws degree (LL.M.) in Government Spending and Corporate Tax from the University of Florida Levin College of Law.
• Postgraduate degree in Control and Risk Management from the Universidad Pontificia de Comillas, Spain.
• Postgraduate degree in International Taxation from the Universidad de Salamanca, Spain.
• Law degree with honors from the Universidad Anáhuac, Mexico City.
Luis is member of the Mexican National Corporate Counsel Association (ANADE) and the International Bar Association.
He is founder of the Anti-corruption and Money Laundering Committee at the ANADE.
Former President of the Ethics and CSR Committee of the Mexican Finance Executives Institute (IMEF) where he founded the anti-corruption committee too.
Collaborations & Conferences
He is frequently invited to participate as speaker in international workshops and conferences regarding anti-corruption, organized by diverse organizations in representation of the private sector and the Mexican government, respectively. He has also lectured public officials in compliance with the OECD observations for anticorruption procurement in Mexico and in situ visit from Spain and Slovenia.
Mr. Ortiz collaborates with works in specialized newspapers and publications, including anti-corruption blogs and has recently co-authored the newest book on Corporate Social Responsibility Method “MORSI” Method and Global Legal Research Anti-bribery country reference book.
Anticorruption and FCPA Compliance, Government & Transparency Professor at the Universidad Anahuac and has prior experience as such in other renowned universities in Mexico.
Professor at the ANADE’s Anti-corruption and Compliance Diploma Program.