Rodrigo Rojas, partner at the firm, he has participated and advised in multiple transactions during the past 19 years. His main practice is in the banking, project finance and mergers & acquisitions areas, as well as in the areas of corporate and foreign investment.
Mr. Rojas has participated in numerous financings that involve project sponsorships, project finance, lending, syndicated facilities and financial leases, as well as in multiple cross border and local M&A transactions. He also has extensive experience in corporate start-ups, new investment in Mexico and related matters. Additionally, Rodrigo has experience in telecommunications, antitrust and governmental procurement matters.
Representative legal matters
• Advised Citigroup, Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation, BNP Paribas, JPMorgan Chase, and The Bank of Nova Scotia, acting as Joint Lead Arrangers and Joint Bookrunners in a simultaneous syndicated credit facility and a Rule 144A / Reg. S bond offering to allow private equity fund Actis to successfully complete its acquisition of global power-generation company InterGen’s business interests in Mexico, including the purchase of 2,200 MWs in operation with six combined-cycle power generation projects, a 155 MW wind project with partner IEnova, a 65-kilometer natural-gas pipeline, and 3 natural gas-compression stations, for an enterprise value of US$1.256 billion. This is the first time that a project acquisition in Mexico of this size is executed with the use of bond proceeds
• Advised Infraestructura Energética Nova, in the US$852m acquisition of the largest wind farm projects in Mexico, Ventika I and Ventika II, from Fisterra Energy, a Blackstone company (NYSE:BX)
• Advised PEMEX Transformación Industrial in the US$597m sale-leaseback transaction and financing of its ultra-low sulfur gasoline units in the Madero Refinery to First Reserve
• Advised TAG Norte Holding and its sponsors, in the US$1.47b financing (including Senior and VAT facilities) for the 454 km Los Ramones Phase II-Norte Gas Pipeline Project.
• Advised PEMEX, PGPB (TAG) and PMI International, as sponsors, in the approximately US$1.1b Los Ramones Phase II-South natural gas transportation pipeline. This deal was named “Americas Oil and Gas Deal of the Year” for 2014 by Thompson Reuters
• Advised a syndicate of international banks, in their US$300m acquisition financing to Vopak and EneGas to purchase the Altamira II LNG facility
• Advised Bunzl PLC, a FTSE listed company, in two separate acquisitions of 100% of Espomega, S.A. de C.V. and Proepta, S.A. de C.V., in multi-million dollar transactions, representing the first direct acquisitions in Mexico by Bunzl
• Advised Grupo Mexico, in a USD$127 million financing funded by INBURSA, for the acquisition of jack-up drilling rigs
• Advised Commerzbank AG in the US$350 and €75 million financing facilities granted to the AMG Advanced Metallurgical Group
• Advised Banorte in the Pesos $890m senior financing facility granted to Gestión Integral de Hospitales Zumpango for the Zumpango Hospital PPP Project.
• Advised P.M.I. Holdings B.V., in the US$900m transaction for the sale to BlackRock and First Reserve of its 45% equity participation in the Los Ramones II Sur and Los Ramones II Norte pipeline projects
• Advised KST Electric Power Company, S.A.P.I. and its sponsors in the US$450m financings for the Norte II Power Project
• Advised Telefónica Móviles México in their telecommunication towers sale and leaseback transactions totaling US$750 million, for various multinational buyers
• Advised Banorte in the MXP$850 million senior financing facility to Renova Atlatec for the Agua Prieta Water Treatment Plant Project under a state PPS scheme.
Law Degree, Universidad Panamericana, Mexico City, Mexico (2001)
González Calvillo, S.C. since 2005
Diez, Lira y Rojas, S.C., partner (2003-2005)
Martínez, Algaba, Estrella, de Haro y Galván-Duque, S.C. (1997- 2003)